easy desserts & recipes: cupcake pops
What could be cuter than these adorable cupcake pops? They are an easy treat to make and will bring a little whimsy to any event. Use the cupcake mold to create these treats without fuss.
9-by-13-inch Midnight Chocolate Cake (See below)
2 cups Chocolate Frosting (see below)
1 package chocolate melts
1 package white chocolate melts
1 package pink candy melts
Sprinkles and/or colored sugars
Candy Red Hots or mini red M&M’s
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Trim about 1/2 inch from edges of the cake. Working in batches, crumble cake into a large bowl. Make sure the cake is fine, with no substantial pieces.
2. Add frosting until well combined.
3. Place the mixture into the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
4. When mixture is chilled throughout begin to form the cupcakes by placing a small amount of the mixture into the cupcake mold. Release the cupcake from the mold and place onto a prepared baking sheet. Repeat the process until you have used all the mixture.
5. When you are finished place the cakes into the refrigerator to chill for about 1 hour or place in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
6. Melt chocolate in heatproof bowl set over simmering water. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
7. When the cupcakes are chilled dip the bottom of each cupcake into the chocolate; Place cupcakes, bottom-side up, to prepared baking sheet.
8. Place a lollipop stick into the bottom of each cupcake. Before dipping the tops, let the chocolate set completely.
9. Melt white chocolate and/or pink candy melts in heatproof bowl set over simmering water. Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the white chocolate or pink candy melts and place right-side up by sticking the lollipop sticks into a Styrofoam square.
10. Decorate with the candy and sprinkles.
Midnight Chocolate Cake
For the cake:
2 cups cake flour
1 ¾ cups sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup milk
¾ cup shortening (Use the butter flavored Crisco.)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
12 ounces (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup shortening
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
½ cup milk
To make the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9×13 inch cake pan.
2. In a large bowl combine, with a fork, flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. Add milk, shortening, eggs and vanilla (still combining with a fork)
4. Then mix at high speed and blend all ingredients until smooth.
5. Pour into 9×13 cake prepared cake pan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. (While the cake is baking make the filling.)
7. Allow the cake to cool, and then slice each cake into 2 layers.
To make the frosting:
1. In a double boiler (or just stack saucepans, the one for the ingredients needs to be a good size), over hot, not boiling water, melt the chocolate with the shortening.
2. Stir in the sugar and milk.
3. Remove from the heat
4. Beat with a spoon until smooth.
5. Frost sides and top of cake. Decorate the top of the cake with chocolate shavings if you are feeling creative.
Model: Canon EOS 7D